I was finally able to meet with the lactation consultant today and of course Ella would latch and act PERFECTLY for her! She kept saying how great it looked and how she was just doing wonderfully and of course it didn't feel excruciating as it does at home. Of course. Then when I feed her at home it really doesn't feel quite so bad buuuut she ends up getting hungry again in like 45 minutes! Seriously? So I gave her some formula to supplement and I really hope that buys me some time. Honestly, when you breastfeed it seems like that is all you do. Although I was able to get her feeding time down to 30ish minutes like she wanted me to, and that was because she did latch on pretty well this time. If only we can keep it up. If I were to be 100% honest though, I'd have to admit that I'm still on the fence about what to do. I'm still not enjoying it and the lactation consultant mentioned that at around 3 mos. is when they will look up at you and smile and that it feels so wonderful. The only problem is I will be back at work way before then and she will definitely be feeding from a bottle all day while at daycare so I would miss that anyway. Ugh. It's like I just can't win!
It is soooooo hard at first! There are times when I wonder what exactly I did from last June-September and then I remember- oh, breastfed and then sat under a sleeping baby. Lather, rinse, repeat. The awesome thing is, if you're able to stick with it (and I know how hard it is!)- when they get to be older, breastfeeding actually becomes easier because there isn't any prep involved. Hang in there and know that whatever you do (as long as you are feeding her something!) is the right thing. :)
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to tell you that you are my inspiration. :)
ReplyDelete