Wednesday, September 15, 2010

work, a towing, a class - oh my!

Today started off pretty well.  Work went pretty smoothly, no one observed me, I got all my reading lesson done, and I found some good manipulatives for a student.  All in all a pretty productive day.  I had to leave "early" (3:10) in order to make a Dr. appointment so another teacher was going to take my bus riders to the bus.  No problem.  I head to the car and get ready to leave when the misfortune struck.  The car flat out refused to shift out of park.  Okay, let's try it again.  Still no go.  I call Drew, he gives some advice on ways to try and make it shift out of park but none of them worked.  I try some things I found in my owners manual that addressed the problem, however those didn't work.  I go inside and find one of our maintenance men fairly quickly (stroke of good luck) and ask him to take a look at it.  He tries to no avail to get the dumb thing to shift our of park....do you sense a pattern?  That didn't work.  I called the dealership where I got this car 1 year and 2 weeks ago.  It's still under warranty so they give me the number for Chrysler roadside assistance.  I call and they need to send me a wrecker to tow the POC.  Okay, the closest one is 30 minutes away.  Unfortunately it is already 3:45 by this point and I'm still a good 30 minutes away from the doctor's office so I suck it up and call to reschedule.  They have a 3:30 appt. for tomorrow so I told them I would call them back when I knew if I would at least have a vehicle tomorrow.  Well after discussing it with Drew he said I could take his truck to work and then go the doctor's office straight from school.  I call the office back (20 minutes have elapsed) and the appt. it already taken!  Seriously!?  They cannot squeeze me in at all in the afternoon for the rest of the week so I had to reschedule for next week.  Fortunately I still get to pay for the appt. today though.  :)

Okay, so you're thinking the story is almost over.  Not quite.  The wrecker gets there and it turns out he cannot tow my car because I'm parked up against a sidewalk, my car is front wheel drive, and we cannot get it into neutral to move it.  He needs an entirely different truck.  So he has to go back to town 30 minutes away to get a new truck and come back.  Then he has to drive the car 30 minutes the opposite way to where I live to dump it at the dealership.  Drew comes to pick me up and we swing by the dealership to give them the 411 on what's going down and to ask about the possibility of getting a rental car.  While there he looks up the part that will be needed to fix the car (this is apparently a common problem with this type of car).  Depending on the severity of the problem it could take 1 or possibly 2 parts to fix it.  One part they have no problem so if that is the culprit then they can fix it and it will be ready tomorrow no problem.  However, if it is the 2 part fix the second part is on back order.  Not good.  No telling when that would get fixed.

Still trying to remain positive.  I'm hoping that only the one part is broken, the one part they have.  The rental place is closed, not that it would have mattered since earlier today they had no cars available, plus the warranty would not cover that cost so that would be entirely out of my pocket.  No thank you...at least not year.

Still not ready to go home though.  It's now 5:30 and we have a Newborn Infant Care class scheduled from 6-9pm.  We hightail it (okay not really, we took our time) to the location of the class only we are both starving and the only thing close is Burger King.  More bad luck.  We have it our way and grab some dinner from a very impatient and agitated worker and head to class.  It is super long, even if we did get out at 8:30, but at least had a bit of good information.  Still not a great class and I let them know how they could improve it in their survey, which might have been a bad idea considering I was exhausted, hungry, had to pee (again), and irritated to no end about my car and having to miss my dr. appt.  

Whew.

So what.a.day.  I'm actually in bed typing so that when I shut this computer off I can immediately go to sleep.  I'm half tempted to not even spell check this crap.

ugh!   But I will...   Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like quite a day! I was wondering about those infant care classes. I am not looking forward to them.

    ReplyDelete